Monday, March 1, 2010

Is It All Worth It?

I have gotten to the stage of my research to where I can begin to piece things together and I can begin to see the picture of where I am going with this project. So far I have had no difficulty finding primary sources I can use in my research. Primarily I used the admissions website at Harvard University to show examples of the attitude the Ivy League has towards the education they have to offer. On their website I noticed---which was different from other university websites--- they brag about the statistics of where their graduate end up after graduation much more than the rest. In Deresiewicz's "The Disadvantages of An Elite Education", Deresiewicz (an Ivy League graduate himself) speaks of the issues with Ivy League entitlement, he describes how Ivies "encourage their students to flatter themselves for being there". He also discussed how the entitlement that the ivies impose causes it's alumni to be "incapable of talking to people who aren't like you [Ivy Grad]). This could be a lead on the Ivy League "entitlement" argument. While I still haven't decided a specific question the resources have helped me come closer to what my question might be. What do students get from an Ivy League education? Where does this source of entitlement that the Ivy Leagues impose on their students? and is it all worth the overall high cost? In "What's Wrong--And Right-- With American Higher Education" by James Axtell, Axtell explores all aspects of American higher education including the difference between public institutions and the ivies. Axtell explains the downsides of both which makes my non-bias approach towards this project much more simple.

1 comment:

  1. I remembered the author I was trying to think of: Robert Coles, who wrote something in the 1970s (possibly Children of Affluence) where he used the word "entitlement" to describe the general attitude they were raised with. I think most scholars who use the term "entitlement" will reference Coles and you should try to hunt up what he said on the topic -- if not in his original scholarly writing then in subsequent interviews or articles.

    This is shaping up well. I like Deresiewicz -- that sounds like a good addition. And Axtell. Good.

    ReplyDelete