Thursday, March 4, 2010

What I Need Help On.

So far, my research has been going quite smoothly. However, there are a few things in my research that I feel as if I definitely need help on. First off, I need help finding more scholarly sources, for some reason I have had no issue finding primary sources (i.e. U.S. News articles and University admissions websites), however when it came to me finding secondary sources I was coming up against great difficulty. I am not sure if I am going about my research the wrong way or I am just typing in the wrongs things into my search because I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for. I have found a few good ones, but I am fully aware that I need much more. Also, we already spoke of this in our conference, but I am still thinking of what directions I am going to go in my topic. I have been jumping around the topic and I need to finally choose a direction. Besides those things I think I am off to a pretty confident start. If I think of anything else, I will be sure to ask!

1 comment:

  1. I tried a search at Academic Search Premiere using the terms "college," "elite" and "private" with good results - 198 hits (you cold go through all of them) and several interesting things on the first page alone. I think the key word "elite" was very useful. Here is one thing that turned up on the first page:

    "SOCIAL CAPITAL, ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT, AND POSTGRADUATION PLANS AT AN ELITE, PRIVATE UNIVERSITY" by Nathan Martin in Sociological Perspectives 52.2 (Summer 2009): 185-210
    https://login.proxy.libraries.rutgers.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy.libraries.rutgers.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=43830414&site=ehost-live
    Abstract:
    "This article focuses on the effects of social capital on graduating university students in their search for employment. The article explains that large social networks created while on campus may help students achieve a professional job and personal networks may aid in becoming a lawyer. Topics include academic achievement, social capital, postgraduate student plans, educational outcomes, occupational attainment, elite universities, elite occupations, social status, peer networks, and academic honors."

    I also found an interesting reference to the following article:
    "Will Higher Education Be the Next Bubble to Burst?," by Joseph Marr Cronin and Howard E. Horton in the May 22, 2009 issue of "The Chronicle of Higher Education."
    Though not exactly "scholarly," that sounds like an interesting article to track down and I would be curious if it has spawned scholarly debate.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete